One of the things I dislike about Linux distros, is they don't seem to take kindly to a leading capitol letter in usernames for some reason. Debian's installer also (logically) set my uid/gid to 1000. Rather then map between uid/gid, I merely use the same values for my account on all machines. Since BSD could care less, I also use 'Terry' instead of 'terry' when possible ^_^.
While setting up for the test, I also changed my accounts uid/gid; oh boy is the vipw program talkative. In doing that, and then running the test from a shell w/o logging out and back in again first, resulting in this funny error message:
terry@virtuous:~$ rsync -arz --links --safe-links --no-D -tx -e 'ssh -l Terry' --rsync-path='cd /srv/rsync/conf && /usr/local/bin/rsync' -n --stats Terry@vectra::home /home/Terry You don't exist, go away! rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [receiver=3.0.3] terry@virtuous:~$
Making sure my sessions uid/gid are correct with the system databases however, fixes that lol.
Currently, I've setup VirtualBox to boot Debian into console mode and run it 'headless' with ssh+x11 forwarding. Should we say, I'm more then comfortable using a unix shell, ;-).