Installed and patched it easily, I've got 1.0-1.60 uber patches saved for every language I could find. Only hitch was the DX setup flunked, but it wouldn't matter much anyway (there is no real DirectX on Linux).
As far as I can tell, the client works properly, but I can't actually use it. My desktop panels overlap the window, and being as RvS forcefully sets the resolution down to 640x480 whenever it hits the menus, thus creating about 1" blocks where the mouse leaves the games focus. Luckly fixing that after a 'quit' in the console, is a simple xrandr invocation. Odds are, I could just setup a quick bare bones fvwm session. GR has similar issues but is actually playable, not surprising as it was a much more professional quality bit of handy work than Raven Shield.
The second test however, was using the Dedicated Server setup -- which worked perfectly! How much the performance is impacted by WINE and how much by the heavy network utilisation I've got going, is beyond my calculation though, lol.