Generally, this stuff exists for purposes like being able to modify my site theme to fit well on common web browsers and resolutions. I.e. if most people visiting my site have an HD screen resolution on last years version of Firefox, why should I restrict my theme to being friendly to a VGA screen resolution on last decades version of Internet Explorer?
I reserve the right to make use of ethical analytical software and services such as statcounter and Google Analytics, or anything else I deem appropriate. The amount of information collected generally includes the following:
- Your devices WAN/Internet IP address.
- From this the country, state/province, and city associated with that IP address can.
- With regard to how precise that is, tracking my own IP is usually as accurate as a zip code. Enough to nuke my city but not find locate me.
- Feel free to use a proxy if you desire.
- Your devices screen resolution.
- Your browsers user agent string.
- Go to whoishostingthis.com to test.
- Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux zbov; U; en) Presto/2.9.201 Version/11.50
- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.121 Safari/535.2
- Decent web browsers allow you to change the user agent string to whatever you want.
- The HTTP referrer provided by your web browser.
- The URL/web address of the page(s) on my site you have visited.
When needed, either for stats tracking, advertising, or for services provided (e.g. use of a web application hosted on my site), any form of cookie required may be set. You are free to set your web browser to reject cookies from here as you see fit, with the express acceptance that no accommodations will be made (i.e. if I write a web app and you try to log into it, it's not my problem if you disabled cookies).
Some or all of the server equipment and network infrastructure providing hosting are beyond my control (e.g. Google Blogger = Google Servers). I make no warranty and take no responsibility here. In most cases, assume that the URLs and IP addresses are retained for a short period of time by third parties.
Like wise statistical information as noted above under "User Tracking" may be retained IAW the policies of third parties providing "Stats".
Comments you post on my site are obviously going to be retained somewhere, for some length of time.
News For The Paranoid
Generally I only look at my site stats when I'm screwing with my site theme or trying to figure out who forgot to sign their comments!